Vermilion River Watershed Restoration + Enhancement Project
Please note, the application period for 2017 projects is now closed. Stay tuned to our website or sign up for our newsletter (at the bottom of this page) to stay updated on future funding opportunities.
Wetlands and riparian areas are ecosystems that perform vital ecological services in a watershed. They store water, manage flooding, retain sediment and contaminants, serve as a habitat and food source for wildlife, maintain biodiversity, and offer leisure and natural scenic beauty. These services help people, other living things, and the overall health of natural systems that are linked within watersheds. Citizens, watershed stakeholders, and conservation groups know that wetlands and riparian areas must be protected and restored to create sustainable watersheds.
In partnership with the North Saskatchewan Watershed Alliance and with grant funding from the agencies listed below, the VRWA is working with landowners throughout the Vermilion River watershed. Together we are restoring and enhancing wetlands and riparian areas on their land. Activities under these grants are collectively called the Vermilion River Watershed Restoration and Enhancement Project (VRWREP). This three-year initiative (2015–2018) will implement some of the recommended actions of the VRWMP under the following goals.
- Goal 2: Improve reliability of surface water supply.
- Goal 3: Maintain or improve surface water quality.
- Goal 4: Maintain or improve aquatic ecosystem health.
Other goals of the plan include the following.
- Goal 1: Develop capacity and knowledge.
- Goal 5: Protect and sustain ground water quality and supply.
2017 VRWREP Application Guide (for reference)
2017 Terms and Conditions for accepted projects (for reference)
Thank you to the VRWREP funders and partners:
Restoration + Enhancement Resources
Please note that many of these resources are from other jurisdictions. You may need to adjust them to suit your local conditions in terms of climate, soils, and features of rivers, streams, and wetlands. Please check government regulations that may apply to your project.
- Beef Research School: Three Strategies for Riparian Area Restoration
- Guidance for Restoration Activities in Riparian Areas
- Tree + Shrub Planting with Live Stakes
- Live Staking + Joint Planting
- Wetland Restoration, Creation + Enhancement
- Wetland Restoration + Rehabilitation
- Wetland Restoration
- Dam + Canal Safety Guidelines
- MultiSAR: Wildlife-friendly fencing
Studies + Reports
The State of the North Saskatchewan River Watershed Report
(Note: the above link will take you to the North Saskatchewan Watershed Alliance website)
Vermilion River Riparian Inventory + Assessment (2016)
Prepared by Golder Associates
Health Assessment Maps
Vermilion River Aquatic Ecosystem Assessment (2016)
Prepared by CPP Environmental
Vermilion River Water Supply & Demand Study (2009)
Prepared by Golder Associates