History of the VRWA
The Vermilion River Watershed Alliance (VRWA) was incorporated as a nonprofit society in 2015. The alliance is made up of local volunteers working side by side in the watershed. Our members come from local towns and counties, federal and provincial governments, conservation groups, and the general public. We are also partnered with the North Saskatchewan Watershed Alliance (NSWA).
We are guided by the goals, directions, and actions of the 2012 VRWMP. This plan was designed with input from the public to define what the watershed means to those who live, work, and play here. We believe the watershed is the unit of management for human activities that affect the environment, including air, land, water, and wildlife. We will reach our vision of a healthy and sustainable watershed by completing this plan and balancing the social, economic, and environmental needs of the watershed community.
Our VISION: The Vermilion River Basin is a healthy and sustainable watershed.
Our MISSION: To support stakeholder engagement that fosters a collaborative approach working towards a sustainable watershed.
- Develop capacity and knowledge in the watershed
- Improve reliability of surface water supply
- Improve and maintain surface water quality
- Improve and maintain water ecosystem health
- Protect and sustain groundwater quality and supply
Set against a rolling hillside, the Vermilion River Watershed Alliance’s logo captures the meandering nature of the river as it flows through the landscape. The shades of blue and green represent the connection between the river, the land, and the transitional riparian zone.
The green shaded portion on the left of the logo represents the profile of a waterbird species, highlighting the importance of wildlife to the watershed.
Want to help us protect the watershed?
Board of Directors
- Dave Berry (President), Town of Vegreville
- Richard Yaceyko (Vice-President), Town of Vermilion
- Chris Elder (Secretary), Alternative Land Use Services
- Willie Babiuk (Treasurer), Town of Two Hills
- Ed Parke, Member-at-large
- Barry Bruce, Beaver County
- Al Corbett, North Saskatchewan Watershed Alliance (Alberta Drainage Council)
- Mal Dissanayake, Lakeland College
- Stacey Hryciuk, County of Vermilion River
- Tim Knudson, Holden Drainage District
- Kevin Bentley, County of Minburn
- Murray Phillips, Two Hills County
- Daniel Warawa, Lamont County
- Carlin Soehn, Alberta Environment & Parks, Operations (advisory)
- Candace Vanin, Agriculture and Agri-Foods Canada
- Ralph Boe, Agricultural seat
- Bryon Wolters, Ducks Unlimited Canada
- Leah Kongsrude, Executive Director, North Saskatchewan Watershed Alliance
- Mara Erickson, Extension & Stewardship Coordinator: VRW Region, North Saskatchewan Watershed Alliance
- Michelle Gordy, Extension & Stewardship Coordinator: VRW Region, North Saskatchewan Watershed Alliance